6/12/2009

The To-Do List!

The list is short again this week, my friends. There's nothing coming out this week that has me excited in the slightest. In fact, I only saw one movie this whole week, and that was just to see The Hangover for the 2nd time. So what now? The solution is more Netflix, and maybe catching up on what I've been neglecting. Of course that's been my plan for the better part of a month and I've yet to actually do any of it. I'll try to rectify that now, so I hope nobody has any plans on seeing much of me this week!



I think my opinion of The Taking of Pelham 123 is pretty well known. I think the shit looks terrible. This is a remake of a remake once again pairing up Tony Scott with his meal ticket, Denzel Washington. Only this time it's Denzel vs. Travolta, in a match up that has all the crackling energy of a wet Ramen noodle. I can't express just how bad this looks, except to say that I've never been able to buy into Travolta as a tough guy(Look Who's Talking killed that image forever), and the "We need milk" line from the trailer is so over-the-top awful that this deserves to fail on it alone. Yet I'll still be there to see it if not tonight then tomorrow.



Away We Go is a film that seems to be quietly gaining some buzz, thanks to a funny but touching trailer featuring two of today's rising comedic stars: John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph. Then again I can't help but notice that the music from the trailer is pushing a lot of my desire to see this, and my fear is that it won't be nearly as funny without that perfect accompaniment. We shall see. Right now this is only playing locally at Landmark E Street cinema but should be expanding next week.



Anybody remember back when Michael Keaton was cool? Hard to believe he was the first(and best) Batman from the original series of movies. Lately he's been off the radar, but he did reappear a couple years back with an underrated film called Game 6. Now he returns not just as an actor but as the director of a film called The Merry Gentleman. It's about a depressed hitman who falls into a relationship with a murder witness. The film also stars Kelly MacDonald and Bobby Canavale. I'm very interested in this one. It also is playing at Landmark E Street cinema in the Nation's Capital.

Also out but I wouldn't go see if you paid me: Eddie Murphy's next big family turd, Imagine That, stinks up theatres tonight. I actually think this will do better than expected, if not be an outright hit, mainly due to the lack of new competition this week. The problem is that this film has been promoted terribly.