9/03/2009

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day redband trailer


My Punch Drunk cohort John is probably the biggest fan of The Boondock Saints that I know, but he's hardly the only one. I remember when the film first came out I had an inordinate amount of friends telling me that I HAD to see this movie. Some of my best friends are Irish so I guess they felt some sort of affinity to the film, which is basically the story of two Irish Catholics who turn vigilante after killing some Russian mobsters in self defense. The film is very Tarantino-esque, let's put it that way. After watching it myself I was less enthusiastic than some, but I can see the film's upside. I think Sean Patrick Flannery is excellent, although I'm not much of a Norman Reedus fan. You can't really go wrong with Billy Connolly and Willem Dafoe, either.

The most interesting thing about Boondock Saints was the director, Troy Duffy, who became an overnight sensation after the film was released. Unfortunately he let it go to his head and his once promising career went up in smoke(chronicled in the documentary film, OVERNIGHT). After years of rumor and speculation, Duffy finally finished work on the sequel, Boondock Saints 2: All Saint's Day. Up front, I'll say that the trailer already has me interested. They've added two of my favorite actors, Cliffton Collins and the sexy Julie Benz, and the overall look of the film is a drastic improvement over the original. Check it out and see for yourself, but remember this is a redband so don't watch it at work, ya'll.