11/25/2009

The List! 11/25/09

It's an early and abbreviated List this week, thanks to the fact that I'll probably still be too fat and turkey drunk on Friday to do it. Plus all the new movies this week come out today, and it's pretty oddball group of films, to be honest. All totally different, so there should be something out there for everybody.



As I stated in my review, The Road is an emotionally devastating film. Based on the novel by Cormac McCarthy(No Country for Old Men), it's the story of a father trying to keep his son alive in the aftermath of a global catclysm where few survived. It's an intense film, and might be too much for a lot of people, but it's worth it. Viggo Mortensen does Oscar worthy work here, and Charlize Theron takes full advantage of her expanded role(her character is minor in the book) as well. Director John Hillcoat previously directed the Australian western, The Proposition. Chances are, even though I said I would never see this film again, that it will be seen at least one more time in the near future. It is an amazing piece of work.



This should probably be at the top of my list this week. John Woo's international hit(it's highest grossing film in Chinese history) is a mammoth 2-part epic chopped down to a still muscular 2 1/2 hours for American audiences. It's right up my alley, too. It tells the tale of the legendary Battle of Red Cliffs during the Han Dynasty back in 208 CE. Those who've played the video games, Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Dynasty Warriors will recognize the characters immediately. Lie Bei, Cao Cao, and Zhuge Liang and the rest of the gang will all be involved. For me, being someone who watched all 80+ episodes of the Chinese TV series based on this subject and owns the ultra rare complete DVD set, you best believe this is gonna be one of the first things I pay my hard earned money on this week. The fact that John Woo, director of some of the best action films of the last twenty years is at the helm only makes me more hyped.



Call me crazy, but I ain't all that excited over this. Wes Anderson has culled quite the following with great movies like Bottle Rocket and Rushmore, but the rest of his resume has been sorely lacking. Movies like The Life Aquatic and The Darjeeling Limited aren't just boring, they're downright painful at times. Based on the book by Ronald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox tells the story of a fox who seems a little uncomfortable in his own skin. Based on what I saw, it sounds like it's right up Andeson's alley, with self aware characters making ironic insights on nothing in general. But the stop-motion animation is gorgeous, and the voice cast(featuring George Clooney and Meryl Streep amongst others) is phenomenal. I'm hoping Anderson can change my mind for once. It'd be nice to consider him a unique talent again.

If there's time....



Chances are I won't see Ninja Assassin for a second time, but if I ever get a hankerin' for copious amounts of CGI bloodjuice I know what film to turn to. Ninja Assassin is the story of a wronged ninja who takes vengeance against his former clan, while at the same time tryin' to score with a hot Europol agent. Can't say I blame him. I bet ninjas get all the best chicks. That'd be one helluva feather in your cap to throw around at the bar. "What do you do for a living"? "I'm a ninja. Climb walls and stuff".

No...no...a thousand times no...



There's not a chance in Hell I'd see this movie. It has the Wild Hogs stink of failure all over it, which should come as no surprise considering it was made by the same people. If it boiled down to this or painful ass surgery I'd drop trou and grab my ankles post haste. I can't tell you what this is about, other than Robin Williams seems to have a kid or something. And I think I saw him kissing Kelly Preston, which must've made for a weird workplace environment considering she's married to co-star John Travolta. I hope the paycheck was worth it.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is expanding to more theatres in the area and I'm demanding you all go see it first. Now. You can read this stuff later. Go find it, go see it, love it. You can thank me later.