12/15/2009

300 Sequel Finally Gets a Name!


We've been following the rumors of the proposed 300 sequel for awhile, but lately news has been scarce. That makes sense considering the heavy workload heaped upon 300 creator, Frank Miller. The main problem was that there was no source material to base the film on, since Miller had yet to write a follow-up graphic novel to 300. Well that's pretty much done now, and finally Miller is letting loose on some information. What's the name of this 300 sequel going to be?

Xerxes.

Miller, speaking to the LA Times, describes the film this way:

It’s the battle of Marathon through my lens. I’ve finished the plot and I’m getting started on the artwork. Every generation returns to ancient Greece because, well, the stories are so damn good. The fact and the myth are inseparable and, believe me, when you go sailing for a while in the Aegean Sea, you start believing in Poseidon.

Confused? Yes I am. Ok, being the history nerd that I am, I'm trying to figure out why Xerxes is involved in the battle of Marathon. Xerxes was prevalent in the battle of Thermopylae, which 300 chronicled, but it was his father Darius who fought at Marathon and lost to the Greeks. Whatever. I should know better than to expect historical accuracy, but I can't help it. Then again, it could follow the tradition put forth in 300 and feature Xerxes retelling the story of his father's defeat at Marathon, which would make perfect sense.

No word on if Zack Snyder will be helming the project. His shine has been tarnished somewhat by the lackluster performance of Watchmen earlier this year, so the studio might be looking for someone else to take his place.