1/07/2011

Judd Apatow confirms next film will be a Knocked Up spin-off, not a sequel

Briefly, since I've written and corrected myself once about this already.  Judd Apatow recently confirmed to HitFix that his next film will not be a sequel or prequel to Knocked Up. Instead, it will be a spin-off featuring the popular characters portrayed by Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann in the film.

So I wasn't completely wrong. I did call the film a "sequel of sorts", since his first statements didn't seem to clarify things. So I guess we can look at this in the same way we look at Get Him to the Greek, which was a spinoff of Forgetting Sarah Marshall featuring Russell Brand's Aldous Snow character. Below is the relevant quote from Apatow.

“It is just a story from Pete and Debbie’s current life. People really responded to their characters and problems.  I felt like there was a lot of ground I could explore with them.”

Spinoff. Sequel. What's the friggin' difference? It's using the same characters in a story that takes place after the first one. I guess it doesn't really matter what it's called. I'm looking forward to it regardless.