9/29/2014

Tommy Wirkola won't Direct 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters' Sequel


Tommy Wirkola has already written the script for a sequel to Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, and begun trying to convince Jeremy Renner to reprise his role, but does he intend to get back behind the camera for it? Turns out the answer is no, as Wirkola tells Fangoria he's decided to pursue other projects instead.

Wirkola:  “I’ve just decided to not direct HANSEL & GRETEL 2. I have been lately attached to a few more things, it’s just a matter of time and priorities. I did DEAD SNOW 1, then HANSEL & GRETEL 1, and then DEAD SNOW 2. I want to do something a little bit different now and not just do sequels. I did write the script and I hope to be involved in it. But yeah, I won’t be directing it.”

It's solid reasoning, and Wirkola is right to not want to be stuck in a cycle of making cheesy, R-rated horror comedies. His influence will clearly still be felt but this is a pretty good opportunity for another young director to make his name on. Wirkola's next film Dead Snow: Red vs. Dead opens on October 10th.