1/16/2009

The To-Do List: 1/16/09




It's not supposed to be busy in January. But thanks to a perfect storm of events, I'll have possibly five days off to see as many movies as I can. The weekend, plus my employment by the federal government, plus the fact that I work in DC during the busiest few days in history means I might not be in to work until Thursday. It also helps that I can do my job from my Blackberry™. Still I don't expect such a flood of movies to hit all at once like this. Not movies I really wanna see, anyway. Unfortunately, E Street Cinema will be basically closed for two days during the inauguration so that venue is off the table.

This week brings us the Biggie Smalls biopic, Notorious, starring some fat guy and Derek Luke. I actually saw this last night(read my review right here) and it's worth checking out. Atleast you will be lucky enough to not have to go to a WPGC sponsored screening like I did, and basically have the entire film talked over by thuggish idiots . But then again, you probably will have to deal with bammas talking, and pay for it.

WHO'S COMING WITH ME TO SEE MY BLOODY VALENTINE???! I'm taking all comers! Can't wait to see this, it looks so damn terrible I know I'm gonna love it!

Defiance is the film I'm anticipating most, starring Daniel Craig, as one of the Bielski Partisans who helped fight the Nazis and protect Jewish citizens during WWII. The Oscar buzz that once surrounded this film seems to have died out, thanks to some shoddy marketing and a pushed back release date. Looks good, though. Ed Zwick rarely puts out a horrible script. Well, except for those episodes of 1/4Life he crapped out for television last year.

Somebody out there still finds Kevin James funny. Unfortunately I'm not one of them after the horrendous Chuck and Larry. I expect Paul Blart: Mall Cop to be a one-note idea best suited to a three minute skit on SNL stretched deli thin over the course of 90 minutes.

As usual there is a holdover from last week, and that one is Revolutionary Road, which has decided to make life easier for me by expanding to theaters I can actually get to without venturing into the Nation's Capital. I might tackle this one first.

On a side note: technical issues have pushed back the release of episode #12 of the Punch Drunk Podcast. Hopefully it will be up by Sunday night, and we will probably record episode 13 on Monday night or something. So listen out and don't forget that we have our contest in Episode 12. Help keep my DVD shelf uncluttered!

Expect lots o' reviews next week. Have a good weekend!