5/28/2009

In Space, No One Can Hear me Scream!!! Fox to Relaunch Alien Franchise!?


I'm gonna provide you with a short list of films here. See if you see the connecting thread:

X-men Origins: Wolverine
Dragonball Evolution
X-files: I want to Believe
Max Payne
Jumper
Aliens vs. Predator 1 & 2
The Seeker
Fantistic Fours 1&2

What would you call a company that has failed so miserably in cultivating it's potential franchises over the last few years? I would call them purveyors of soulless, valueless life wasting schlock. Or just 20th Century Fox.

With that in mind, how would you feel if this same studio was put in charge of one of the most beloved franchises in history and sought to continue it, or worse yet even reboot it? The rumors flying around now are that Fox is already well underway in continuing the Alien franchise. The latest info, courtesy of Bloody Disgusting, is that Fox has tapped Carl Risch to direct the latest big screen effort. Risch is a TV commerical director who has ties to Ridley and Tony's Scott Free Entertainment company. Apparently the Scott boys are along for the ride as co-producers.

But seriously, let's think about this for a second. I've seen what's become of the last couple Alien flicks produced by Fox. The Aliens vs. Predator movies were boring as all hell, full of characters indistinguishable from eachother, no sense of drama or tension whatsoever. Just lazy all around. What's to make me think that this would be any different? Because they might show us a young Ripley? I'm sure she'd be played by some nameless, faceless, acting neophyte that I couldn't pick out of a police line-up. And as for this Risch fellow, I don't know his work one bit, so I'm loathe to criticize him. I just know that I would prefer to see someone more experienced tackle a story this large, but that's just me.