6/12/2009

Editing is Half the Battle: Somers Fired from GI Joe?


So yesterday there this huge uproar that director Stephen Somers and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura had been fired from the G.I. Joe movie due to it receiving the lowest test screening score in the history of Paramount. I had a sneaking suspicion that more was to come on this, so I didn't even bother posting about it. And today here comes the inevitable second act to this thing, as Lorenzo himself retaliated by saying:

"It's very unfair to Steve, its completely untrue he was never asked to leave or been fired or any of that," di Bonaventura said. "That's ridiculous. The movie tested very well. [Sommers] did a very good job, the movie tested well, and it couldn't be more false that the studio in anyway did anything negatively to Steve."

F'real, I don't even care who the director is because the film looks like crap. I know a lot of people loathe Somers, but I dig his Mummy films so he's not an instant turn off for me. But if he's responsible for those awful accelerator suits, the crappy looking fight sequences seen in the trailer, etc. then he deserves any and all criticism thrown his way. Others involved with the film have piped in to say that everything is hunky dory and that what we've heard isn't to be believed, but to me it all sounds like a bunch of people trying to push the toothpaste back into the tube. These rumors didn't come from nowhere, and too detailed to be completely fictional. The GI Joe film has been getting hammered by people thanks to the cheesy looking trailers, and I think the studio is doing everything in it's power to salvage whatever they can. I'm more convinced than ever that this movie is going to stink.

Thanks to FirstShowing.net for the rest of the story.