6/18/2009

Michael Bay Quits Transformers Franchise?


Color me cynical, but I don't buy this for a second. WENN is reporting that Michael Bay is leaving the popular Transformers franchise in order to focus on making smaller, quieter films. Bay, who recently revealed a desire to take a break between Transformers: Rise of the Fallen and the third film, is known mainly as a big budget high octane action director. Small movies have never been his style, and apparently the director has heard the criticisms and complaints. He says:

"It's easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France. But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers. They (the critics) review me before they've even seen the movie."

"After the three and a half years I've spent making these movies, I feel like I've had enough of the Transformers world."

"I need to do something totally divergent, something without any explosions."


Yeah, right. Look, I believe that Bay said these things. But do I believe him for a second? That he wants to ditch what has made him a very famous and very rich man in order that he can pull a Ridley Scott and go out and make A Good Year 2? No. I personally believe this is a negotiating ploy. Bay wants his break between films to stretch into 2012, while the studio is pushing hard for a 2011 release date for Transformers 3. Call it a hunch, but I think there's no way in Hell we see another director on this franchise other than Bay.

Because if it ain't him we'll be getting McG or Brett Ratner. You know I'm right.