6/16/2009

Tetsuooooooo!!!! Akira film Dead as a Doornail!


I'm torn on this one. Bloody Disgusting is reporting that the live action Akira film, based on the classic anime about a biker who is experimented on giving him superhuman powers in post-apocalyptic Japan, is now officially dead. Reports are that director Ruairi Robinson, previously nominated for an animation Oscar in 2001, has left the project. The film was to be produced by Leonardo Dicaprio's Appian Way studio along with Warner Bros.

Like I said, I'm torn on this. Akira is one the best animes of all time, and it's pretty much the film that got me into Japanese animation to begin with. I was weary of an Americanized version(same way I worry about the Battle Royale remake), but also intrigued at the idea of seeing this great film brought to life. Obviously this isn't truly the end, as someone will eventually come along and make an Akira film, but it looks like we'll be waiting awhile for it.