7/28/2009

Warren Ellis Re-Introduces the Knights of the Round Table


Warren Ellis is something of a pariah in the comic book world. One of the most talented writers working today, he has helmed some of the most important works in recent memory, such as Planetary; his classic run on The Authority; even venturing into the mainstream world with Astonishing X-men. His expertise, however is decidedly not mainstream. He excels and taking fresh and often dirty looks at conventional themes and ideas. Which makes this news all the more interesting to me.

On his website, Ellis revealed that he is working on a big film version of the Arthurian legend of the Knights of the Round Table. He says..

I’m writing a film treatment for Hollywood Gang, who co-produced Frank Miller’s 300. Hollywood Gang have previously optioned my graphic novel (with Chris Sprouse) OCEAN.

On my desk, the treatment is called Untitled Arthurian Project.

On their desk, the project is called EXCALIBUR.


He then goes on tell Ain't It Cool News...

'Untitled Arthurian Project,' as I call it (just so I can't feel John Boorman's EXCALIBUR looming down at me from my DVD shelf), differs from the prior 751 King Arthur movies in many ways, but perhaps most obviously in that it is very specifically about the gathering of the Knights.

I'm a sucker for anything involving King Arthur and his loyal Knights...well, I didn't really dig that King Arthur flick with Clive Owen a few years ago. That stunk. The thought of Ellis turning his evil eye towards this project gets me revved up, though, because I know it'll be unlike any King Arthur film I've seen. I used to watch Excalibur with my uncle as a kid, and I immediately fell in love with the period. I have no problem with this story focusing on the gathering of the Knights, as it's a story we've never really had a chance to see.