7/07/2009

Who's up for a Blade prequel? Without Blade?


In an interview with The Sunday Mail, actor Stephen Dorff confirmed that a spin-off of the hit Blade trilogy is in the works. It will be a new trilogy, a prequel, starring the Deacon Frost character, portrayed by Dorff in the first Blade film. The kicker is that Stephen Norrington, who directed the first film, is on board to helm the series. Stephen Dorff certainly sounds amped for the project:

"It will be a prequel to the Blade movies, Deacon's story. It's a new trilogy the director has created. It will cool."

"We hope to shoot the first film next year. Frost is a character I have never been able to shake."


I loved the Blade trilogy. I even loved the Blade TV series which I think got a raw deal from Spike and should still be airing to this day. I'm not such a big fan of Norrington, who really sh*t the bed with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Say what you want, he bears much responsibility for that turd.

But this idea doesn't sound good to me. It reaks of straight-to-DVD status. Not only because Stephen Dorff isn't a big name draw, but because nobody's exactly clamoring for a Blade revival sans Blade. If this project actually comes to fruition I will be shocked, but I'm definitely keeping my eyes on it from here on out.