11/10/2009

Oldboy....No More!!!!


Na na na na....na na na na...hey hey hey...goodbye! Those who follow the site know that I've been fearing and dreading Steven Spielberg and Will Smith's efforts to remake the classic Korean revenge flick, Oldboy. Oldboy is one of the best films of the last ten years, and it deserves to be seen in it's original form, not as a bland remake with a questionable lead like Smith. Well it looks like my prayers have been answered. LatinoReview is reporting that the deal between Dreamworks and Mandate, owners of the Oldboy manga rights, has fallen through. No word as to why, but I'm sure it has to do with how much money Dreamworks wanted out of any profits earned.

Before I get too excited, I'm not totally convinced this is the end of it. Mandate has ever right to proceed with finding another studio to partner with on an American remake, and I'm sure there will be others interested. But for now, this is cause for celebration! ::dances a jig::