9/08/2014

Jessica Chastain Really wants to Play a Superhero; One Role she'd be Perfect For



Here are two things everybody likes right now: female superheroes and Jessica Chastain. Marvel may be sitting with their thumbs up their butts rather than giving one of their many great female characters a solo flick, but Sony has beaten them to the punch with a lady Spider-Man spinoff and Warner Bros. probably will too with Wonder Woman. And whenever one of these movies finally gets rolling, Jessica Chastain sounds like she wants to be a part of it, but only if she gets to wear something cool. She tells The Guardian...

Chastain: “I would love to do a superhero movie! I would have loved to have played Black Widow.”

While I don't recall her ever being up for Black Widow, Chastain was originally cast in Iron Man 3 as Maya Hansen. She ultimately dropped out and the role went to Rebecca Hall. Chastain gives a pretty good reason why she hasn't taken any superhero movie parts when the offers have definitely been there...

Chastain:  “A couple of times I’ve gotten really close. The problem is, if I do a superhero movie, I don’t want to be the girlfriend. I don’t want to be the daughter. I want to wear a f***ing cool costume with a scar on my face, with fight scenes. That’s what I’d love.”

Nobody needs to be scarring up Chastain's pretty face, thank you very much.There are a ton of red-haired superheroines she'd be perfect for, and one of those is Medusa of The Inhumans. We know Marvel is in the developing stages of an Inhumans film and Medusa, who is the wife of the Inhuman king Black Bolt, is exactly the kind of badass Chastain seems to be looking for.


For now we'll have to settle for her in buzzed-about dramas like The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby and Liv Ullman's Miss Julie.