11/06/2014

Interview with 'Goodish' Director, Amanda Patterson


In a few short hours I'll be speeding down to Charlottesville for the Virginia Film Festival, one of my favorite events of the year for a number of reasons. Not only is it a chance to spend four days in Charlottesville, a place I love, but the diverse slate of films (not to mention a couple of sweet late night parties) are always a lot of fun. While there are plenty of potential Oscar contenders (The Theory of Everything, Foxcatcher, and Wild among them this year), the best part is discovering some of the homegrown talent that I may not have heard of.

One of the films I'm really looking forward to is Goodish, a relationship comedy from co-writer/co-director Amanda Patterson. A VA native raised in Herndon but now living in Charlottesville, Amanda developed the film as a way of exploring whether it's possible for friends to have sex and still remain friends...especially if it's bad. I had a chance to talk with Amanda about making her directorial debut with Goodish, presenting it at her first VA Film Festival, her experiences at LightHouse Studio mentoring young filmmakers, and the insanity of the Adrenaline Film Project which she's also a part of.

You can listen to my interview with Amanda Patterson below, followed by a trailer for Goodish.