2/01/2016

'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Will See The Return Of Gwendoline Christie's Captain Phasma


Star Wars has always had a problem creating very cool characters that prove disappointing. Boba Fett, Darth Maul, and the same could be said of Star Wars: The Force Awakens' chrome-plated Captain Phasma. Gwendoline Christie plays the visually striking stormtrooper who seemed to meet an ignoble fate in a trash compactor, but thankfully we now know she survived and will be back for more.

While at the SAG Awards, Christie confirmed to People that Captain Phasma will return for Star Wars: Episode VIII, which opens December 2017 directed by Rian Johnson. She said...

"I will be in the next Star Wars movie. I think that's an exclusive, actually. I was very overexcited. I made no secret of the fact that I really campaigned for the part for a long time. And then I was delighted when J.J. Abrams wanted to have me in the film and then wanted to cast me in this role that had originally been designed for a man." 

The gorgeous, 6'3" Christie is best known for playing the honor-bound Brienne of Tarth on HBO's Game of Thrones, and let's hope she gets to put some of those sword skills to use in Star Wars at some point.