4/17/2009

The To-Do List for 4/17/09

This past week was arguably the worst of the year so far, with a bored looking Seth Rogen leading the pack closely followed up by Chow Yun Fat phoning one in, also. So it's only fair that Hollywood do us a solid and drop a couple of heavy hitters on us. One of these in particular is a film that both John and I have been anxiously awaiting since we first posted the redband trailer for it a few months ago. I'm sure you can guess which film that is.



Crank: High Voltage is most obviously the film that I've been dying to see. You didn't seriously think it'd be some Zac Efron shit, did you? Taking place immediately following the sudden death ending of the first Crank, this one continues the improbable story of a Chev Chelios. In the last film, Chev had to keep the adrenaline pumping in order to counteract a fatal poison running through his veins. In this one, Chev is dead, but apparently that can all be fixed with an artificial heart. I guess somehow that negates the poison that was already...there? Whatever, I'm thinking too much about this already. All I care about is whether or not they keep the action level pumped up to 11. Mix that up with plenty of Amy Smart pole dancing; copious amounts of hot broads, big guns, F Bombs and Dwight Yoakem and I'm there for the ride. This one's out pretty much everywhere, so go run out and see it, but make sure you check the first Crank beforehand.



Woe is the investigative journalist. State of Play, a political thriller about a journalist investigating the murder of a prominent politician's intern, features one of the best casts of the year. And even though the trailer looks great, these types of films tend to all fall into the same category for me. I dig them, but never ever watch them a second time. Starring Russell Crowe, Helen Mirren, Ben Affleck, and the lovely Rachel McAdams, it's based off a BBC miniseries from back in 2003. Judging from some early reviews, it spends a lot of time lamenting the fall of the newspaper and the rise of bloggers as the new journalists. It's a lesson I'm not all that interested in listening to, so let's just hope it's not too heavy handed.



See if you've heard this before: Dull, boring middle aged dude who regrets his life suddenly wakes up as his 17 year old former self. Given the sudden opportunity to relive his life, he jumps at every chance to make himself and the people he knew as an adult happy. Sound familiar? Like every other body switching movie ever made? That's what 17 Again, starring the most unfunniest of unfunnies Matthew Perry and some guy named Zac. Have you ever known anybody named Zac(or Zack) who wasn't a douche? Didn't think so. This movie is about as appealing to me as a cold sore. No way in hell I'm seeing it.

Also of note: Landmark E Street has picked up The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, an indie film about a slacker guy who apparently needs to grow up. I've heard awful things about it, but the cast has me intrigued: Sienna Miller(whooahhhh!!), Nick Nolte, and Peter Saarsgard. I have a hard time believing that cast made a film that bad.

American Violet has expanded to more theaters...all indie ones. The true story of a poor woman falsely accused of drug trafficking and finding herself trapped in a corrupt legal system has been drawing rave reviews. After I've made sure to have my mind appropriately turned to mush by Crank, I'll have it pieced back together with a film like this. It's now playing at Landmark E Street, AMC Shirlington, and Cinema Arts Theater in Fairfax.