11/27/2009

Hawkeye to Appear in Thor? Jeremy Renner to Play Him?


In an interview with Empire, Jeremy Renner(The Hurt Locker) threw out some possibilities for his future in the Marvel Universe film world. The actor, who blew audiences away with his portrayal of an EOD tech in Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker, made it clear he thinks his future involvs plenyt of bows, arrows, and deep purple tights.

“I don’t know if I’d be right for Captain America. I met with the Marvel guys, actually, but we didn’t talk about Captain America. But one of the writers, Zak Penn, we’ve become friends over time and he was thinking maybe Hawkeye could be interesting. He sounds like an interesting character.”

Renner then went on to add this...

“If I was a betting man, I would bet that Hawkeye would probably show up in Thor, and then be in The Avengers,” he said. “But do I know for sure? I can’t say. But I’d love for that to happen. It’d be fun.”

Renner hasn't signed anything as of yet, and this could all be just his idea of wish fulfillment, but personally I think he's a perfect choice for the hot headed archer. Hawkeye is one of the most prominent members of the Avengers, and occasional counter-balance to the more even tempered Captain America. You can't possibly have an Avengers film without him, and frankly, Renner's role in The Hurt Locker could very well have been the perfect test case. The two characters are very similar in terms of personality and attitude.

The Avengers is slated to release on May 4th, 2012. Projected cast is a powerhouse, with Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johannson, and possibly Ed Norton.