4/23/2010

The List: 4/23/10

When matched up next to the similarly themed The A-Team and The Expendables, The Losers might seem like the odd man out. Based on Andy Diggle's seminal 2003 comic series about a betrayed Special Forces unit out to seek revenge, the recent naming of co-star Chris Evans to the role of Captain America will draw some people in to see if he can handle what looks like an action packed role. It is, but it's Evans ability to draw laughs rather than gunfire that is his strong suit in this flick. You can check out my review here.

Looks like one of those indie flicks I used to love back in the late 90s but have become increasingly tired of. Yet I've heard nothing but good things about this comedy, featuring Andy "Mark Strong stole all my roles" Garcia as the patriarch of a family who excel at lying, especially to eachother. City Island was a critical darling at last year's Tribeca Film Festival, but really I just wanna see it because of Emily Mortimer. If she's in it, I'm there.

If there's time....

I've been boycotting nature films ever since I succumbed to the hype that was Winged Migration way back in...2002? That nature doc showed me that it's never worth it to pay for something you can just as easily see by flipping on PBS or The Discovery Channel. DisneyNature's Oceans, which released yesterday Earth Day, is the follow-up to last year's Earth, focusing on the never before explored mysteries of the deep blue sea.

No...just no...no...


I can scarcely think of a film that I want my fellow brothers to avoid more. If you're ever planning on having kids, don't go see this. If you ever want to think of your pregnant wife as sexy again, don't go see this. If you ever want to be able to look at Jennifer Lopez again without revisiting today's breakfast, don't go see this. Brought to you by the fine folks at CBS Films, the same people who gave us the miserably depressing Extraordinary Measures just a couple of months ago. Maybe they forgot to bring along the laugh track so we know where the jokes are supposed to be? Avoid! My review can be found right here.