5/07/2010

The New Wave: 5/7/10

This might come as a surprise to some of you, but there isn't a lot that came out this week. Why? Simple, nobody wanted to be the movie that got the repulsor ray of doom at the box office competing against the juggernaut that is Iron Man 2.  There's a meager attempt at counterprogramming by my all-time favorite studio, Focus Features, but I think even they know it's a futile effort.

You wanna know why Iron Man 2 works so well? It's not just the crazy armor, the futuristic weapons, or even the promise of larger movies to come. It's Robert Downey Jr creating a likable, believable man inside that fantastic suit. The sequel to 2008's blockbuster amps up the energy and excitement without giving up anything that worked so well the first time. While some may complain that there isn't quite enough of Iron Man in this film, I would argue that both movies are more about Tony Stark than the armor itself. You can check out my review here.


This came out in 2008? Sheesh, where was I? Actually, better question is "What took so long"? Apparently writer Joel Edgerton had to be convinced by his director brother Nash to finish and release the film. I guess late is better than never, because based on what I've seen The Square looks like it could've been made by the Coen Brothers. That means expect a film noir featuring adultery, double crosses, greed, and murder. I can't wait for this one.

No...no....no...!!!

Those looking for a change of pace, or an outright avoidance of packed Iron Man crowds might want to consider Focus Features' latest, Babies. A documentary focusing on the first year in the life of four newborns, raised in different countries under very different circumstances. I'm going to assume the point is to show that no matter how great the distance between us, there are some distinct similarities that we all grow up with. That's cool and all. It's a message I can get behind. Way behind. Like ten miles behind. Focus Features is my favorite studio of all time. They put out more of my favorite movies than any other during the last decade, but making a film about a bunch of crying infants and expecting me to see it is like asking me to sign an anti-bacon petition. It goes against my very nature to support such a thing.

Hey, another documentary about rich fatcats who jacked us out of billions of dollars! Hooray! This time it's about uber-lobbyist Jack Abramoff and his flock of white collar stick-up men. I had my fill of this stuff with Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story, and I'm not quite ready to dive back into that cesspool.