5/19/2011

Jennifer Lawrence looks badass in new images from The Hunger Games

Yesterday we got our first good look at how Jennifer Lawrence will appear as Katniss Everdeen in Gary Ross's adaptation of The Hunger Games. That came via the cover of Entertainment Weekly's latest issue, and now today we've got a couple more shots. One is just a fuller version of the cover image, giving us a better look at her apparel and her trust bow. The second shows more of her surroundings, the dreaded forest that fans of Suzanne Collins' novels know is the setting for the Games, where kids are sent to kill each other for the amusement of the ruling government. Thanks to The Film Stage for these new scans....


I continue to be impressed. After seeing Lawrence in the clips from X-men: First Class and then again in The Beaver, she seemed to be too pretty and fragile for a role as rigorous and frankly ugly as this. But she's got the look, and the outfit they worked up for her is spot on.

In case you're straining your eyes to read what the print says in that image, it goes something like this...

Katniss’ Costume: When it comes to the dazzling attire Katniss will wear when she’s interviewed in front of the Capital audience, Lawrence couldn’t care less. But she was plenty vocal on the subject of her arena outfit – the survivalist-style clothing (seen here) that she wears while fighting for her life. “I’m going to be doing a lot of my own stunts,” says Lawrence. “I want to make sure I can run and jump and climb. I’ve been driving [the costume designer] crazy with the boots: ‘You have to fix this here, you have to make it lighter here, you have to open it up here.’ The dresses I don’t care about them. Just put them on me. It’s like Oscar season again.”

 I told Gary, ‘I totally understand if you don’t hire me, but please remember that after Katniss shoots a bow and kills someone, her face cannot be badass. It has to be broken.