9/16/2012

Norman Reedus says 'The Boondock Saints III' is "definitely in the works"


I've never quite understood the appeal of The Boondock Saints. Short of reveling in the Irish Catholicness of the two super violent McManus brothers, these movies always come off as cheap Tarantino knock-offs to me.  But people seem to love 'em, and the two films so far have become cult classics to be sure.  After years of well-documented delays thanks to the many personal troubles of once promising director Troy Duffy, a sequel was released in 2009 which performed like crap at the box office. But still people keep clamoring for a third chapter, and it sounds like it may actually happen.

Norman Reedus, who plays loner Daryl Dixon on AMC's The Walking Dead, was talking about the show to IFC when he spilled the beans on the future of The Boondock Saints. By the way he tells it, it sounds like we're absolutely going to get another sequel....

Reedus: “I’m in L.A. right now. I’m meeting with Sean [Patrick Flanery] and Troy [Duffy] tonight. I just landed a couple hours ago and tonight I’m going over to Troy’s house with Sean. It’s definitely in the works. Look for it. It’s gonna be crazy.”

Well, The Boondock Saints II: All Saint's Day certainly upped the craziness factor up to 11, and I would say it was a marginally better film because of Julie Benz's totally off-kilter performance. If she comes back then maybe it's worth having one more. Otherwise I see little reason to get excited over this, even though many will likely disagree. So tell me, are you excited for another Boondock Saints movie?