3/27/2013

John's Take: 'GI Joe: Retaliation'




If I was to ask you to mix the perfect ingredients for a fanboy soup, what would you include? If you said ninjas, hot chicks with guns, over the top villains  things exploding and a shot of nostalgia for taste, than you would be spot on. You would have also listed all of the things in GI Joe: Retaliation, so does the delayed sequel to the surprisingly fun 2009 hit GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra equal the sum of it’s parts? Yes and no, but more on that later, first you need to know exactly how we got to where we are. The first film ended with Storm Shadow apparently dead, and the evil trio of Cobra Commander, Baroness, and Destro all in custody. Not to go down without an Ace in the hole Cobra did manage to get their master of disguise, Zartan, in a fairly good position…that of President of the United States of America. When Retaliation starts we are treated to a rundown of the Joe team, led by Duke (Channing Tatum), in a very cool title sequence that is presented in a way very reminiscent of the bio cards that we all know from the backs of our countless action figure Christmas presents. The team we know, save for Duke and Snake Eyes, is inexplicably missing with a new squad in their place comprised of franchise favorites Roadblock (Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson), Lady Jaye (Adrienne Palicki), Flint (D.J. Cotrona) and a few others that you don’t see long enough to worry about. Snake Eyes (Ray Park) is still around, though he is off on another mission…that of training cult fan favorite Jinx (Elodie Young) in the art of being a bad ass ninja (that’s a technical term by the way). All is not well in Joe-ville for long when Zartan, still in disguise as the President while the real POTUS is kept underground at a Presidential vacation home, enacts a plan to put COBRA in power and eliminate the Joes for good. What follows is a classic FUBAR situation wherein the Joes are attacked and almost fully eradicated then framed for the assassination of the Pakistani President all while Storm Shadow (back from the dead, though this is never explained) frees Cobra Commander. Everyone is dead….everyone except for Roadblock, Lady Jaye, Flint, and Snake Eyes (who is still off training). It is up to them to clear the name of the Joes, get revenge for their fallen brothers, and stop COBRA’s plans of world domination.


What it got right
This movie fixed everything that was wrong with the first film. GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra was a movie that I was, and very much am, a fan of, but in a way that’s kind of despite itself. Visually and aesthetically the first GI Joe film was all wrong. Weapons, vehicles, even the costumes were homogenized. With the exception of Snake Eyes and Destro’s mask there was no visual landmark to know you were in the same universe that occupied so much of our time as kids. Everything new they tried (Cobra Commander’s mask for one) failed horribly, here’s looking at you accelerator suits. Still, despite all of this, the movie was a blast. Thankfully someone realized this misstep when making Retaliation and corrected the problem in a very fan friendly way. There is still room for expansion and improvement but as part of the core demographic I can say that I was very happy with the look of the film. Cobra Commander is probably the greatest improvement and seems to have walked right out of my 1988 Saturday morning cartoons. Not only did they pick his coolest uniform (the mirrored face mask) but the managed to get his voice almost perfect with the icing on the cake being the slight hiss added to his words. Speaking of HISS there was a marked improvement in the vehicles this time around as the notorious hallmark of COBRA transportation, the HISS tank, made its way to the big screen with bonus points added for throwing in the COBRA fan boats. There are still SO many more vehicles I’d love to see in the next film, the JOE F-16 fighter jet, the COBRA one man helicopter or A-10 Warthog for starters, but I will say that my hunger is satisfied this time around.


Jon Chu does a knock-out job with the direction. He seems to have been a real fan of the source material and understands that sometimes you need dramatic cheesiness to reach the sweet spot of a subject. This is especially apparent with Cobra Commander who is always presented in this ¾ speed upward angle shot that makes him look that much more dramatic when entering a room. This coupled with his awesome new look makes for one sweet villain. The ninja scenes are unquestionably awesome, it does suck that we have seen pretty much all the movie has to offer, ninja wise, in the promo videos, but I’ll get to the downside later. The mountaintop ninja battle is not to be missed with some cartoonish over the top action that somehow manages to achieve complete believeability. The real cherry of ninja action was not, as you’d probably think, Snake Eyes V Storm Shadow 2 but rather Snake Eyes AND Storm Shadow vs. a room full of bad guys. I’ll save the why and how for the movie but longtime fans of the series know that Storm Shadow has a long “is he good or bad” soap opera worth history.  

Not to be overlooked, The Rock, is in fine form here as the de facto Joe leader, Roadblock. Honestly if a guy can be likeable while playing the Tooth Fairy and go right back to action films without a step missed then there really isn’t anything wrong he can do. I’m not sure there is anyone else in Hollywood that could have held this movie together the way Johnson does, he is literally the only aspect of the non-ninja part of the film that is worth buying a ticket for, which leads me to….

What it got wrong
Yes this movie did a great job fixing everything that was wrong with the first GI Joe film. Sadly, they forgot to remember all of the things that were right and proceeded to screw up all of those facets instead. The GI Joe’s are a large team of diverse individuals who are at the top of their game. With this in mind let’s kill everyone except for The Rock and two bland throw away characters. I don’t mean Flint and Lady Jaye of the cartoons/comics. I mean the Adrienne Palicki/D.J. Cotrona versions of the characters. It’s shocking how easily you could forget that Flint was even IN this movie, the same would go for Lady Jaye if you remove two scenes of her in skimpy clothing, which is ironic when you consider that GI Joe was one of the first cartoons to show women as equals on the battlefield. The Rise of Cobra gave us a plethora of memorable characters that were, for the genre, quite deep and fleshed out. I can tell you secondary motivations for each main Joe from the first movie, all I can tell you about the non-Rock Joes this time around is that one has daddy issues and the other likes sneaking looks at girls changing via well placed mirrors. I’m amazed that I actually long for the days of some good Channing Tatum/Marlon Wayans back and forth. What little we get of Duke in this movie is downright goofy. I’m not saying that action movies can’t have humor, we know they need humor. What I’m saying is that if you want to show two characters are buddies by having them joke around, you also need to show them being serious at some point. This does not happen once during the Duke/Roadblock scenes. It’s almost as if they thought they were writing 21 Jump Street 2: Drafted. I’m not going to lie and say the total cast departure didn't bother me, it bothered me big time. I get that maybe you couldn't get the cast back for the sequel, but you’re not even going to attempt to explain where Ripcord, Scarlett and Heavy Duty went? No mention of Hawk? I mean come on! Not only do you give them the shaft and undermine any camaraderie you built in the first film, you cut off any way for them to return in future movies by saying that all of the Joes were killed….sure there is still a HUGE roster to choose from but these are some major Joes that you are not getting back. I really feel that this plot line should have been saved for GI JOE 3: S.O.L.

Good thing I can't see how bad I am!
Hey, at least we have some epic Ninja action to look forward to, right? Sure, if you haven’t watched any of the trailers. Oh, you have? Sorry then, you've seen pretty much all there is, all you've got left is a 20 second Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow team up that, while awesome, is not worth the ticket price to see. Last thing on the ninjas…or really in martial arts movies in general, is to the musical genius RZA. Look man, I know you’re a fan, I am too…but stick to music, you are KILLING otherwise good martial arts flicks. This may seem over the top but RZA’s hilariously bad take on Blind Master completely ruins the ninja story-line of the movie. It goes from comically good to comically bad in the time it takes RZA to say something profound in a muzzled Brooklyn accent.


Other things that didn't work for me were Firefly as the COBRA villain and, I can't believe I'm going to say this, the pacing of the story. So much time was spent on factors that could have been skipped, when we get to the meat of the story (which was actually a fairly genius world domination plot) everything is glossed over, blown up, and resolved inside of 10 minutes without even so much as an epic final fight. Cobra Commander can get away, that’s fine, but to have him slip out without so much as a shot fired is a waste.

Final Thoughts
Honestly, I’m torn. Like I said they fix everything from the first movie but manage to break everything that could have been carried over. What your left with is a flashy throw away film that is good for little more than some cool nostalgic ‘money shots’ and not much else. I hope they find a way to revive that which this movie destroyed…if they can manage to take the good parts from both GI Joe films and discard the crap we may be in for perfect 80’s cartoon big screen adaptation. Oh, and fans of the cartoon can answer this for me, is it too much to ask for just ONE shot of someone’s vehicle being blown up and them jumping out at the last second, preferably while said vehicle is inflamed?

2.5 out of 5 Guttenbergs