1/11/2014

Quentin Tarantino Wants Christoph Waltz and Bruce Dern for New Western, 'The Hateful Eight'




"I can’t talk that much about it, but I will say one thing. I haven’t told anyone about this publicly, but I will say the genre. It’s a western. It’s not a Django sequel, but it’s another Western. I had so much fun doing Django and I love westerns so much, that after I taught myself how to make one, it’s like “OK, now let me make another one now that I know what I’m doing.”

That was what Quentin Tarantino revealed a couple of months ago, that his next film wouldn't be the WWII flick Killer Crow as had been rumored, but instead another Western unrelated to Django Unchained. And now today the film has a title, The Hateful Eight, which sounds like a possible homage to The Magnificent Seven.

Deadline reports that an early version of the script is done and now Tarantino is beginning the casting process, and there's reportedly a role in there for his frequent collaborator, Christoph Waltz. Not much of a surprise there considering Waltz took home Oscars for Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds. Tarantino is also reaching out to Nebraska star Bruce Dern, who some may remember had a tiny part in 'Django', so this would be a reunion all around. Those who saw Tarantino introduce Dern at an AFI showing of Nebraska recently know they are very fond of one another.

Some sites are reporting that Tarantino wants to get the ball rolling this summer, but nothing is concrete just yet. Django Unchained wasn't a Western in the purest sense so it'll be interesting to see if he goes in a more traditional direction this time. I wouldn't bet on it, though.