3/23/2015

Neill Blomkamp Talks 'Alien' Sequel and Staying Clear of 'Prometheus 2'


As it stands right now there are two Alien films on the way, which should have fans of the acid-spitting buggers ecstatic. Ridley Scott's Prometheus sequel is still gearing up for eventual release, and then there's the film fans are actually excited about, Neill Blomkamp's Alien sequel. Blomkamp has been pretty chatty about it, perhaps as means of deflecting from the poor response to Chappie, and now has spoken with Empire about where his film fits, insisting that it won't "tread" on what Scott is doing.

Blomkamp: "I changed the one thing [Scott] felt was bumping Prometheus a little bit. One thing that makes me feel good about it is that Ridley is producing it. He likes the idea of what I want to make."

So what will his film be called? Given Blomkamp's further insistence that it basically ignores but doesn't contradict Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, perhaps he'll call it Alien 2.5? Okay, probably not. Whatever the title, it apparently got Ridley Scott excited...

Blomkamp: "I sent the title I wanted to Ridley. It's kinda quite bold, but it gives away too much if I say the title. But in the event that it doesn't work, I'm dead in the water...".

My guess? Alien: Earthbound. Just a hunch. Anyway, Prometheus 2 is currently set for March 4th 2016, while Blomkamp's film, which is bringing back Sigourney Weaver, is aiming for a release in 2017.