9/01/2015

Bill Murray Talks About His Decision To Cameo in 'Ghostbusters'


For years Bill Murray was the loudest voice against a Ghostbusters 3...well, not necessarily the film itself, just his being a part of it. And the simple fact is that nobody is interested unless he's in it. So that project went nowhere without him, but a cameo in Paul Feig's reboot starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon? Well, that Murray can definitely do. Murray spoke to Vulture about his reasons for joining the film, and basically it boils down to his appreciation for the cast.

“I like those girls a lot. I mean, I really do. They are tough to say no to. And Paul is a real nice fellow.”

While expressing some concern that he would "overshadow" the cast, Murray revealed another major factor in his decision to return...

“I thought about it for a very long time. Like, many, many months. No, that’s not right. I was seriously thinking about this for years, really … It kept eating at me, and I really respect those girls. And then I started to feel like if I didn’t do this movie, maybe somebody would write a bad review or something, thinking there was some sort of disapproval [on my part].”

Rather than return as Dr. Peter Venkman, Murray is rumored to play a supernatural debunker poised to expose the Ghostbusters as frauds. It's similar to the opposition the original Ghostbusters faced in the first movie, and having Murray in that kind of antagonistic role should be fun.

Ghostbusters hits theaters on July 15th 2016. Murray will be seen next in Barry Levinson's Rock the Kasbah opening October 23rd.