9/27/2017

Watch The Creepy Surreal First Trailer For Alex Garland's 'Annihilation'


There will be some who will see the words "From the writer and director of Ex Machina" and say that's enough, they're already sold. Count me as one of those people who fell in love with the surreal beauty of Alex Garland's directorial debut a couple of years ago, and have been waiting to see what's next from him anxiously. But I imagine there are millions more who read all three books of Jeff VanderMeer's "Southern Reach" trilogy who are quivering with excitement over the first trailer for Annihilation, because if it's possible Garland may have outdone himself.

Creepy, gorgeous, and yes, very surreal, Annihilation stars Natalie Portman, Tessa Thompson, Gina Rodriguez, and Jennifer Jason Leigh as members of a scientific expedition sent to a quarantined area of the United States known as "Area X". There have been multiple expeditions previously and all met tragic fates, and this trailer begins to suggest the extraterrestrial reasons why.

This looks absolutely incredible, and I instantly recalled the way sci-fi films like Arrival and Ex Machina made me feel like I was watching a genre be elevated right before my eyes. I'm getting that same feeling now and I can't wait for more.

Also starring Oscar Isaac, Annihilation opens February 28th 2018.