1/30/2009

John Stevenson HAS THE POWER....to direct the He-Man movie




I had almost all of the He-Man toys growing up. Well, except for Snake Mountain with the ectoplasm goo that you dump down on any of your captive figures. I would've chosen Ram Man as my victim if I had it. Always pick on the fat kid. Anyway, the first Masters of the Universe movie was one I enjoyed as a kid even though it didn't truly capture how I would've wanted a He-Man film to be. It was too dark, whereas the cartoon was so colorful and nothing ever really felt like a real threat. Now that I'm older, I want this version of He-Man to be darker, more gritty, and with a wider assortment of characters than the original had.

John Stevenson has officially been named as the helmer of the film. His credits are slim, he's only co-directed Kung Fu Panda so far, but he's been around the industry for a long time primarily doing art direction and things of that sort. I imagine those talents will come in handy for a film like this. And besides, if he fails we can just have Trapjaw pay him a little visit.