1/09/2009

The To-Do List 1/09/09



One definite column to write every week and I can't bring myself to do it on time. That's just pathetic. Friday is probably a better day to do it anyway, considering this is the day most movies release. Besides, I spend my Thursdays thinking of all the ways TNA will screw up their Impact broadcast later on in the evening. Yes, I obsess over wrestling like that. It's a family curse.

It's been a slow week compared to the jam packed nature of the previous. I managed to catch up with The Reader, so that's one I can check off my list. Other than the screening of The Unborn which I caught last night, that's all I saw in the last week. The Unborn even had one really good thing come out of it, and that's that it solidified my reasons for loathing The Junkies, or atleast that guy who does their movie reviews. Follow my Twitter(PUNCHYCRITIC) from last night to see why I hate him even more now. Since all my friends stiffed me on this screening I little choice but to tweet our loyal Punch Drunk Followers.

The January doldrums are here, and this week is a prime example of why this month sux for film geeks. What are my options? The Unborn has been seen. Not Easily Broken? The hell is that? Oh, it's a T.D. Jakes flick. Which means I can run down the plot without having to read anything about it. Oh, Morris Chestnutt's in it? Let's see, I'm betting he's a guy with responsibilities but since he's a black guy(and we're all the same in our own films) he's probably got self confidence issues or he's arrogant or something. He's probably having marital issues. He no doubt has a group of friends who encourage his behavior(one for the worse, one for the better). No thanks. I'll politely pass on this and every Tyler Perry/TD Jakes film from here to the end of time. Seen one and you've seen 'em all. If anybody sees this, write me(punchdrunkcritics@yahoo.com) and let me know when the perfunctory "dinner table" scene is.

That leaves Bride Wars. Really? That's it for me? That's what I got? Maybe, as a way of playing the good boyfriend, I'll take my lady out to see this. Atleast it'll have plenty for me to look at...ahem...Anne Hathaway....

Could you guys do me a favor? Anyone who's seen Yes Man, could you tell me just how bad it is? Weeks this slow mean I'll be playing catch up on some oldies. Is it offensively awful? So bad that I'll be pissed to waste my free passes? Is the music in Revolutionary Road really as annoying as I've been told?

Gran Tarino and The Wrestler expand into wider release today, so be sure to check those out! You won't be disappointed!