1/23/2009

The To Do List: 1/23/09




After the blitzkrieg that was last week, things finally settle down to something a bit more manageable. Last week I managed to catch Notorious, Paul Blart, Defiance, and My Bloody Valentine all in rapid fire succession. This week I hope to kick things off by catching up on the one remaining straggler, Revolutionary Road, so that I can finally what would've happened to Kate and Leo if they both had survived the Titanic. Frankly, if I catch even a whiff of anything Titanic-ian here, I'm leaving. I despise that film with the heat of a thousand white hot suns.

The film I'm most eager to see is Underworld: Rise of the Lycans. Yes, it looks terrible. No, Kate Beckinsale is not starring but she and her tight leather pants do make a cameo. What worries me most is that the original screenwriter, Kevin Grevioux(who also plays Raze in all three films) isn't writing this one. That bothers me. I like Kevin's writing, not only for these films but also his comics work(he currently writes Marvel's New Warriors series). This leads me to believe the third film will be dumbed down somewhat with more focus on simple action rather than any type of plot. Sure, it's vampires and werewolves fighting, and that's awesome. But it could still suck if done half assed.

The chances of me sitting through all 5 hours of Che this weekend? 0%. The chances of me ever sitting through all 5 hours of Che? 0%. Which is a shame because I love Benicio Del Toro as an actor, but I'll never...and THE ROCK MEANS NEVER be able to convince anyone to sit through it with me, and I can't make it through a movie that long all by myself. I need a sounding board in case it sucks ass.

Waltz with Bashir, the highly acclaimed animated war flick has finally hit E Street Cinema and Shirlington Cinema, and it's probably next up on the list of movies I desperately want to check out. Last Chance Harvey, which the more I see of it looks like one long meet cute for the middle aged set, I kinda wanna see but am afraid I'll leave the theater looking a bit more grey than when I went in.

On a side note: Props to AMC Hoffman for FINALLY putting The Wrestler on it's docket this week, late as usual. It's only the best, most critically acclaimed film of the year. No props to go Kingstowne Theater ten seconds away from my house, who apparently don't feel it's worth showing. They're also showing no love for Defiance, which makes no sense to me. But Inkheart? They got all the time in the world for mess.