5/29/2009

The To Do List!

Deep breath. Consider this a week to chill. Only two films have piqued my interest and I've already seen one of 'em. Which is perfect because it leaves me more time to see The Brothers Bloom yet again. I've already checked it out twice, with one more viewing with the meetup crew on Saturday. It's rare that a film so completely meets my expectations. Bloom is expanding to more theatres this week, so now you can also see it at AMC Shirlington, AMC Georgetown, and Cinema Arts Theatre along with Landmark E Street if you're in the DC/Metro area. Go see it! You will not be disappointed.

Up



I'm beginning to think Pixar can do no wrong. They've managed to make me interested in a movie about a talking rat; talking cars; made me care about a talking fish looking for his lost son, pretty much everything they do I'm invested in. They're on an incredible run of success that may not ever be topped. Even so I thought not even Pixar can build a complete story around a grumpy old man who ties balloons to his house and soars into the sky. On the surface it sounds thin. But boy was I wrong. I'm not going to go into the details since I'll be reviewing the film in full at some point, but I can say that after seeing it I'm more impressed with Pixar than ever. This might not have been my favorite of their films, but I'll be damned if they don't get major props for creativity. Definitely check this out with the kiddies this weekend. That is if you can tolerate kiddies(which I can't). Otherwise wait until a really late show when presumably they will all be asleep, or fighting sleep and keeping their parents awake. I went to a screening of this and was surrounded by the miniature buggers. It felt like I had been dragged to my own little corner of Hell. Speaking of which...

Drag Me To Hell



After 22 years Sam Raimi makes his triumphant return to the horror genre. Well, that is if you don't include Spider-Man 3, which was pretty horrific indeed. Drag Me to Hell features future Talent Show member Alison Lohman as a loan officer who screws over the wrong gypsy and finds herself the victim of a hellish curse. I'm assuming that old broad was a gypsy, anyway. This one looks amazing, and I've been excited for it ever since it was first announced. My only fear is the PG-13 rating. I know others have said that it doesn't hurt the film, but we've spent the last ten years with gutless, spineless, de-fanged PG-13 horror flicks so I've got pretty good reason to be concerned. I'm just hoping to be proven wrong here and that Raimi still has the goods to deliver.

Those are the two biggies for the week, leaving me with hopefully some free time for a couple of oddballs. I'm interested in checking out this Austrian film, Revanche, about an ex-con and a prostitue who get involved in robbery that goes fatally wrong. It's getting pretty good reviews. Goodbye Solo has been on this list for like a month, and I almost skipped out on work early yesterday to see it, but as usual a tidal wave of crap headed my way and I couldn't escape. I'm curious to see the film, Little Ashes, just so I can laugh at Robert Pattinson in his ridiculous Salvidor Dali mustache. He looks like Colonel friggin' Debeers, or that evil dude who always ties a damsel in distress to the railroad tracks. There's no way he pulls that off. Stick to bubble gum vampire flicks, dude.