6/26/2009

Cowboy Bebop Movie to be Similar to Anime, Says Craig



Cowboy Bebop, originally uploaded by Lara ੴ Lopes.

Writer Peter Craig, who has been chosen to write the "Cowboy Bebop" movie starring Keanu Reeves, says that it will be true to the anime. I don't know about you, but it's very hard to interpret anime into a real-action movie, especially in Hollywood. Another thing that has me skeptical is that Craig is not even an anime fan or ever written Sci-Fi.

"Even though I'd never written Sci-Fi, Emma Watts and Erwin Stoff really believed that I might relate well to Spike, Faye, and Jet -- as well as many of the minor characters from the episodes. When I heard I might have a chance for the job, I was thrilled. Fox sent me every episode of "Cowboy Bebop," including a few that had never aired in the U.S. I think I watched all of them consecutively one night until the sun came up - and by the end, I was obsessed with the show. I loved how it mixed genres, how it blended noir, Jazz, Yakuza movies, Westerns, and so much else into a vision of the future that worked. And so I entered that process of going after the job, giving my "take" on the movie, competing with other writers. Ultimately, I got the job because Erwin Stoff and Emma Watts had liked my work in the past -- and they saw that I was passionate about it."


Let's hope that they prove me wrong.

To read the interview with AnimeVice, click here: http://www.animevice.com/news/writer-peter-craig-speaks-on-cowboy-bebop-flick/1552/?page=2&sort=first