10/07/2009

The Griswolds Map Out a New 'Vacation' Spot


Is Hollywood totally bereft of ideas? Stupid question I already know the answer to. Reuters is reporting that New Line is set to develop a pseudo-sequel to the 1983 hit, National Lampoon's Vacation. The film, which currently has absolutely nobody attatched to it...ok, the guy who directed Wedding Crashers is rumored to be directing but to me he is a nobody. I hated Wedding Crashers. The film would take place twenty years later, and would focus on son Rusty Griswold, originally played by Anthony Michael Hall.

Unlike the previous Vacation films, the characters will acknowledge and reference the original film. The possibility exists that Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo will reprise their roles as Clark and Ellen Griswold, only this time they'd be grandparents.

The studio claims that they don't want to make some campy throwaway road trip movie like RV or something, and want it to be more in the vein of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Um, that's a pretty heavy comparison. PTA is one of the funniest movies ever, and living up to that is going to be a tough. On the face of it, I don't like the idea. But I'll withhold judgement until I hear more about the cast. For some reason I'm sensing DJ Qualls will be involved in this project somehow. Let's hope not.