10/30/2009

Theron, Hardy to go Beyond Thunderdome


Despite tweeting that I couldn't have less interest in Mad Max 4 and wouldn't waste my time writing about it, here I am anyway. And the only reason I'm doing it is because we have more of a confirmation of the film's stars now, when the last two weeks have been little more than speculation. Now it looks as if we can count on the smokin' hot Charlize Theron to play the love interest to Tom Hardy's Mad Max Rockatansky. Who the hell is Tom Hardy, you ask? The only thing I recall seeing him in was Rocknrolla, in which he played Handsome Bob, a part that he absolutely nailed.

The lastest Mad Max, titled Fury Road, will take place shortly after Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, in order to keep the title character young. Mel Gibson was formerly attatched to the George Miller helmed project, but has since dropped out. A shoot is scheduled sometime next summer.

Like I said, I'm not excited. I never got into Mad Max the way others did, and Beyond Thunderdome is borderline unwatchable for me. But I'll pretty much watch anything with Charlize Theron in it, and I think Tom Hardy has the chops to do the role some serious justice. So we'll see how it shakes out.

THR has more on the story here.