11/17/2009

And the Director of Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is...


...Rob Marshall. Excited yet? Well, understandably some might find it a little odd that the man behind 2002's Best Picture winner, Chicago, would take to the high seas. Apparently Marshall himself wasn't all that sure about it, either. Speaking at a screening for his next film, Nine(which I desperately wanna see), Marshall confirmed his involvement for the first time, although speculation about it has been raging for months:

"y'know, it's something that I was offered and never in the world thought I would do but then I was like 'why not?'... I'm doing 'Pirates of the Caribbean...."

The 4th installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is subtitled On Stranger Tides, and is based on the Tim Powers pirate story of the same name. It deals with a search for the ever elusive Fountain of Youth.

Most know I'm no big fan of the Pirates franchise, but I actually dug the third film quite a bit. I think it desperately needs a new hand behind the camera, and with Marshall's theater background he could add a unique style to what I think has been a pretty static series so far.