11/17/2009

McAdams Denies Spider-Man 4 Role


It's only been a week since the story detailing Rachel McAdams' intro into the Spideyverse as the Black Cat, and already that rumor is being shot down....by Rachel McAdams herself. D'oh! She recently told Entertainment Weekly...

“That’s a total rumor, I have to say,” the actress, who will next be seen in the Dec. 25 action-adventure tentpole Sherlock Holmes, tells EW. “I was hanging out in Toronto the other day and someone came up to me and said, ‘I just heard you’re doing Spider-Man 4.‘ And I said, ‘Really? No one told me!’ It’s not true.”

I've got no reason not to believe her. What would be the point in lying? Some sites have taken to some pretty flimsy evidence to try to convince themselves there's some sort of cover up at play here, but there's nothing concrete to latch on to.

Now, let me couch that a little bit by saying that her answer is in direct relation to being told "You're doing Spider-Man 4" by a fan or something. By denying it, all she's admitting is that no contract has been signed. It certainly doesn't mean she hasn't spoken to the studio about playing the part, or that she isn't up for it. As much as I want to see McAdams take on that role because I think she's perfect for it, it's starting to feel like a pipe dream. We shall see. As it always is when it comes to big tentpole franchises, the rumors will change on a daily basis.