11/17/2009

Bonnie & Clyde Remake Adds Birch, Manning; Lacks Credibility


I pride myself on my ability to like many different types of movies. My favorite, though? Bad movies. I'm not talking Santa Clause vs. Satan bad. I'm talking movies that don't know they're bad. The fun kind of bad. A movie like.....American Outlaws(2001) doesn't realize it's awful. It just is. And the fact that they don't realize makes it all the more fun to watch. Colin Farrell and Scott Caan as Jesse James and Cole Younger? No thanks. Well that's what this terrible Bonnie & Clyde remake is turning into, a trainwreck on wheels.

Since we first posted about it, the cast which already included Hilary Duff and Kevin Zegers as the legendary criminal duo, has not died as I'd hoped. Instead it's only grown in strength and momentum, much like a destructive hurricane barrelling towards a theater near you. Thora Birch(American Beauty, Ghost World), Taryn Manning(Crossroads, 8 Mile) and the ancient Cloris Leachman(Spanglish) have all now signed on for whatever roles are left to be had.

I've always had a thing for Birch, ever since she flashed her cans in American Beauty, and then obviously as the snarky Enid in cult favorite Ghost World. Wow, come to think of it, I was into her more than I was into Scarlett Johannson in that movie. Go figure. Birch could make this clearcut turd of a film interesting, but short of having the Depression era overrun by martians nothing's gonna save this movie.