11/02/2009

Mark Millar to Direct Unknown Film Next Year


If you've never heard the name Mark Millar, that's probably about to change. The outspoken comic book writer made a big splash recently when his mini-series, Wanted, was adapted into a big screen blockbuster starring Angelina Jolie. Not my favorite film by any stretch, but his follow-up is considerably more intriguing. Mark Millar's ultra-violent series, Kick-Ass, is on the tip of everybody's tongue thanks in no small part to director Matthew Vaughn. Vaughn took Millar's bloody comic and according to most has faithfully reimagined it for the big screen. The independently financed film is set to be released next year.

Now that Millar is a part of the Hollywood machine, he wants out of it. Millar stated on his website that he has secured financing for his first directorial effort. The thing is, he can't/won't reveal what exactly the project is. He says we will learn more in February. The significance of that date is completely lost on me at this time. What we do know is that Millar is going to do exactly what Vaughn did in producing Kick-Ass, which is stay outside the big studio system and finance his film independently. The added creative freedom seems to be the main draw to this approach. I don't blame him. He says...

What is it? Who is it about? Well, that’s all a secret for now, but I learned a lot from Kick-Ass and love having the same creative freedom I have with comics when I work in cinema. I never want to be a studio bitch and go in there pitching for them to love me. The closest I came to this was a couple of calls regarding Superman, but pretty much none of my plans ever revealed as I didn’t like the idea of anyone nicking them.

I'm with ya, man. Mark Millar the comic book writer has never been one of my favorites. I find his writing to be a little too self aware "Hey ain't this cool!? Look at me!" for my liking. I felt the same way about the Wanted movie. But there's no denying the guy is talented, and I'm curious to see what project he will be working on. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like it'll be one of his Marvel Comics works. I'd have loved to see him make an Old Man Logan movie.