3/23/2010

Punch Drunk DVDs


The Blind Side
Is it safe to say that The Blind Side was the biggest surprise hit of 2009? That it was arguably the most popular movie of last year(although critics were mild on it)? Sandra Bullock won her first Best Actress Oscar for her peformance as Leigh Ann Tuohy, a feisty firebrand of a socialite who takes in a gentle giant of a boy, Michael Oher, and makes him a part of her family. Oher would eventually go on to play in the NFL for the Baltimore Ravens, but his uplifting story starts here. A film that I enjoyed quite a bit more than I ever would've anticipated, propelled by Bullock's most complete performance yet.





Fantastic Mr. Fox
I dare those who so loudly claim that Pixar's Up was the best animated feature of the year to watch Wes Anderson's rollicking Fantastic Mr. Fox and tell me that it doesn't trump the Best Animated Feature winner in every possible way. George Clooney stars as the title character, a sly, charming fox who's thieving ways put his family into danger when his victims come looking for payback.








The Men Who Stare at Goats
George Clooney, Oscar winner Jeff Bridges, Kevin Spacey, and Ewen McGregor in a Coen Brothers-style comedy about a special branch of the US military that focuses on spiritual and telepathic combat? And it's mostly based on a true story? Sounds like a recipe for a surefire winner, right? Right? Let's just say I wasn't nearly as jazzed about this movie after seeing it than I was watching the awesome trailer.








Brothers
Nobody creates tight, contentious family dramas better than Jim Sheridan(In America), and his latest film is no different. Starring two of my favorite actors(Tobey Maguire, Natalie Portman) and Jake Gyllenhaal(he's actually really good here), Brothers tells the story of two very different siblings, one a veteran returning from a traumatic experience in Afghanistan; the other, an ex-con trying to make up for past sins. I gave this film a mildly positive response when it came out, but there's no denying the strength of the performances by all involved.






Red Cliff
Where to begin? A few short weeks ago I named Red Cliff as my favorite action film of 2009. It's based on the over 8,000 page Chinese historical epic Romance of the Kingdoms, of which I've spent countless years studying and have been fascinated by(I even own the ultra rare entire run of the Mandarin TV series based on it). To say that I am a fan of this colossal film is an understatement, and I haven't even seen the extended version yet. Clocking in at a hefty 288 minutes, Red Cliff is directo John Woo's retelling of the legendary Battle at Red Cliff, pitting the forces of the Han Dynasty against the power mad general Cao Cao. The most expensive film in Chinese history, it sports huge battles reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but also the same gorgeous colors utilized in films like House of Flying Daggers.



Free Willy: Escape from Pirate's Cove
Do yourself a favor, go watch The Cove instead. I wonder what Rick O'Barry thinks of this film? If he's on here giving a special commentary then I'll buy it.











Damage
It's starring Stone Cold Steve Austin of WWE fame, so chances are it'll end up on my Netflix queue. Other than that, I know nada about this except that it's directing by Jeff King, who we can blame for some of Steven Seagal's more abysmal film efforts of late.