2/21/2014

Seven Kingdoms Scoop: ‘Game of Thrones’ star Kit Harington chats about the show before its season four premiere


At this point, you might think to yourself, “Hmm, I guess everyone at Punch Drunk Critics really likes Kit Harington.” And you’d basically be right: Travis spoke with Harington about his latest film, Pompeii, and Travis also reviewed the movie; we’ve had a lot of Harington coverage lately. Nevertheless, what’s wrong with a little more? Not a damn thing.

As PDC’s resident Game of Thrones fanatic, I had to speak with Harington myself about his character Jon Snow, that one line every fan says to him, what his hopes are for the next seasons of GoT, and his thoughts on HBO in general—like which Academy Award-nominated actor he wouldn’t mind making a cameo on the show. Read on!

Q: What’s the major difference between filming a major film like Pompeii and then returning to work on GoT?

A: The major difference is that I’ve got a really big trailer with a fireplace and a bed and then I came back to Thrones season four, and I’m turning to one of the [assistant directors] and said, “Can I get a coffee?” and she said, “Get it yourself!” And I was like, “Yeah, yes, now I remember! I’m in a tiny little box trailer. Welcome back to the Wall.” They’re very different animals. Being in Thrones is like coming back to your family every year. We have a lovely crew, a lovely cast, and I very dearly love returning to Northern Ireland and filming every year.

Q: Someone could make the argument that your character in Pompeii, Milo, and your GoT character, Jon Snow, are somewhat comparable: Both men of few words, both great warriors, both motivated by very personal things. How would you view that comparison?

A: They’re both quite introverted, quite quiet, but they’re driven by very different things. … Milo has no hope, no ambition other than bloodlust; that’s all he cares about … whereas Jon Snow is very driven by honor and duty, and there will be a point to life, and he wants to do right by people. I think that was the biggest difference. But on the surface, they’re quite similar approaches to a character.

Q: In the GoT A Foreshadowing season four preview video that HBO released a few weeks ago, you mentioned how Bronn is your favorite character, because of how much he can say with a quippy line or an aside. And as an example, you cited his fight in the Eyrie, near the Moon Door, with Lysa Tully's champion …

A: That’s one of my favorite lines in everything I’ve ever seen. They say, “You don’t fight with honor,” and he says, “No … he did.” That’s fantastic!

Q: And of course, there’s the line that you’re always hearing from fans: "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

A: I still don’t know what the fuck it means! I still don’t know what the fuck it means. And I quite like that I don’t know what it means. Because doing the scenes with Ygritte [actress Rose Leslie], we’d finish the scene and I’d be like, “What the fuck are you talking about? That’s such a shit line. I know nothing? Come on!”

Q: Season four is coming up in just a few weeks, and at this point GoT is such a huge phenomenon. What’s invigorating about that, and what’s daunting?

A: It is invigorating, but the daunting bit I find is that everyone loved season one; they really loved season two; and they really loved season three. So now it’s keeping that ball rolling; are they going to really love this next season? One of my favorite shows is Breaking Bad, and it just got better and better and better and better, and The Sopranos just got better and better. And that’s what successful shows do; they don’t drop the ball like certain shows I could name—I won’t—and I think that’s what we’ve done with season four. I hope it carries on in that vein; that’s the daunting bit.

The other side of it is … I think everything should have its end, and I think that’s what HBO does very well. They don’t go along for 25 seasons; they have a definite course and they have a definite ending, and I like that we’re going to end in however many years, be it three or four or whatever it is. I think that there will be an ending and there’s a conclusion to it all.

Q: And at this point, you’ll always be Jon Snow.

A: Actors, even your George Clooney and [Leonardo] DiCaprio, actors have maybe three or four roles that they’re known for throughout their life, if they’re really successful. Thrones is definitely going to be one of those for me. I’m hoping I have a career afterward and that lands me two more very significant roles, and that’s what I’m striving for; that’s what I think most actors are striving for. We want to work. I’m lucky to have had one. People go through their whole careers without having one that is as popular as this show is, and the characters in this show … I’m so boringly optimistic, but I just really love it. When my obituary is written it will say, “Jon Snow, Game of Thrones,” and I’m good with that, you know?

Q: You mentioned Breaking Bad and The Sopranos; have you seen the new HBO show True Detective yet? It’s amazing.

A: Can we get Matthew McConaughey on Game of Thrones? These actors moving into TV, taking our jobs!

For more Game of Thrones coverage, keeping checking back with Punch Drunk Critics; my weekly Seven Kingdoms Scoop recaps of GoT will return every Monday morning after Sunday, April 6. Until then, may the Warrior protect you (and Jon Snow).