10/23/2014

Kristen Stewart Reveals Plans to Take a Break from Acting


I'm sure I'll get emails from people asking "When did she start acting?", but just save it. Kristen Stewart has accomplished a lot in a very short amount of time. She had her big breakthrough in a David Fincher movie starring Jodie Foster, which is a pretty good place to start. She's experienced the joys and pains of profound celebrity thanks to the Twilight franchise, which gained her admiration from fans and harsh rebuke from everybody else. And now she's in the midst of a reinvention, working on challenging, dramatic material with a number of today's finest directors. All this and she's still only 24 years old, which may be why she's about to take a sabbatical from the spotlight.

Talking with USA Today about the numerous films coming up, including the military drama Camp X-Ray (review here), Stewart revealed she's ready to take some time for herself away from acting..

"I'm taking some time off because I've been working for two years. I'm an actor and that's my art form, and because I started that so young, I've always felt intimidated and insufficient when I think about other forms of art I want to create. I'm going to take so much time off."

Stewart has been dabbling in poetry for awhile, and it seems as if her plan now is to focus more on that, along with other creative projects she's been considering...

"I'm going to buy a live-work space in downtown LA and I'm going to make some (stuff) with my hands," Literally, I made that decision a few weeks ago. I'm making a short film. I'm making a bunch of (stuff). I don't know how I'll put it out. But I'm not going to hold it so preciously close to me. I write all the time."

We know she'll be back and involved with the Twilight-verse again as part of a contest to help budding female directors, and Stewart has a bunch of films wrapped and ready to go. She recently shot Drake Doremus' sci-fi romance, Equals, which has her starring alongside Nicholas Hoult. Still to come later this year is Still Alice, a drama starring Julianne Moore and directed by Wash Westmoreland (The Last of Robin Hood); and she also has the Tim Blake Nelson-directed ensemble, Anesthesia. Next year will see the release of the action film, American Ultra, which has Stewart reuniting with her Adventureland co-star, Jesse Eisenberg. So however long this break Stewart's taking lasts, she has so much on the way that we won't have time to miss her.