7/24/2015

Tyrese Gibson says he's met with Warner Bros. about 'Green Lantern Corps'


If there's an African-American superhero out there then Tyrese Gibson has probably lobbied to play him. The Fast & Furious star has put himself out there as someone who desperately wants to play a major superhero character, and lately he's been less-than-subtle about his desire to be Green Lantern. Warner Bros. has dated a film for 2020, recently revealing at Comic-Con that it will actually be a Green Lantern Corps movie. In a conversation with Collider, Tyrese revealed that he's met with Warner Bros. about a role in the film, thanking fan-casting for the interest he's receiving from the studio.

“Well I was innocent from the beginning. I was at home eating a bowl of Lucky Charms in my drawers, my ugly feet were out, and I got about six direct messages on Instagram with photos of me as the Green Lantern. This particular fan who did this fan art said that there was a community of people that had been talking for like a month and a half about who they think would be the best Green Lantern and they all picked me. I said to them, ‘I took the oath, and I am going to commit myself to this process of seeing what’s possible.’”

“I’ve already had a couple of meetings at Warner Bros., so we’ll see what happens. I do believe that there needs to be more black superheroes out there, but that’s not even my motivation. I think I would be the best Green Lantern and based on my fans and supporters that spent around $6 billion in box office receipts, I feel like there’s a fanbase of fans out there waiting to see me put on this green suit and do my thing. So I would love to confirm something today but I can’t. We’ll just keep following up.”

Rumors are that Chris Pine is the frontrunner to play Green Lantern Hal Jordan, the most iconic human member of the Corps. Tyrese would likely play John Stewart, the Green Lantern many are familiar with from the Justice League animated series. Some are claiming the film will be along the lines of a space buddy comedy, which would be perfectly suited to Tyrese's skills, but as of now nothing is confirmed. The film has yet to announce a director or screenwriter, perhaps waiting to see how their DC cinematic universe develops after Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.