11/20/2009

American Gladiators Too Big for the Small Screen?


I thought this was a joke when I first read it, but apparently the jokes on me. Variety is reporting that Peter Illiff has been selected to pen a big screen adventure based on the American Gladiators TV show, which featured overly muscled and 'roided up guys 'n gals competing against average joes in various tests of skill. The show was a huge hit back when it debuted in 1988, but soon died out. NBC brought the show back in 2008, but that soon receded faster than Hulk Hogan's hairline.

The storyline apparently will take place in the world of the American Gladiators TV show, but the competitors themselves will be superheroes somehow. I guess with names like Turbo, Fire, and Nitro, superheroics is the only other job they're qualified for.

This can't be good. An American Gladiators movie makes about as much sense as a movie based on The Biggest Loser. I have a feeling this won't ever truly get off the ground, and if it is finished it will go straight to DVD. I've got no info to back that up, just a hunch I'm havin'.