11/19/2009

Is Percy Jackson the Next Harry Potter?


Could Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief be the next Harry Potter? If 20th Century Fox has it's way, y'damn skippy it will. Based on the Rick Riordan young adult novel, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, it's the story of boy who finds out that he is a demi-god, borne of a human mother and the Greek god Poseison. He and his other mythical friends embark on a dangerous quest to prevent an unholy war between the Olympian gods.

I don't even recall seeing the first trailers for this, which surprises me because if there's anything I love(besides movies that is) it's Greek mythology. Based on the latest trailer, this looks like it'll be bringing most of the characters I read about so often and transporting them into the modern world. The special effects are impressive enough, but nothing spectacular. Considering it's being directed by Christopher Columbus, who helmed the first two Harry Potter films, I'm surprised it looks halfway decent. The first two Potters were the worst by far, and generally I consider Columbus to be a hack. However, now I'm intrigued. In particular, the cast appears to be very strong, with Pierce Brosnan, Rosario Dawson, and Steve Coogan on board. Be sure to keep an eye out for Uma Thurman as the snake-haired Medusa in the final moments of the trailer. I'm kinda diggin' their take on the mirror shield Perseus used to defeat her. I'm sure Apple™ loves it, too.

Anyway, check out the trailer and let us know what you think. What do you think looks cooler? This, or Clash of the Titans?