12/03/2009

Paul Thomas Anderson's Next Film Revealed



I've always said that Paul Thomas Anderson was my favorite director working today, and my second fave all-time right behind the great Akira Kurosawa. His last film, 2007's There Will be Blood was a cinematic tour de force that touched on too many subjects for me to be able to cover here. Heck, the guy is basically the motivation for our name, thanks to our undying love for his film Punch Drunk Love(still Adam Sandler's best role). And as if he needs further praise from me, Anderson was the creative force behind my all-time favorite film, Boogie Nights. So as you might expect, any news about his upcoming projects is going to be tracked like a hawk by yours truly.

Anderson's next project has been revealed as a period drama titled The Master, about “a charismatic intellectual who hatches a faith-based organization that begins to catch on in America in 1952.” Frequent Anderson collaborator, Philip Seymour Hoffman, is already attatched for the starring role.

The plot, according to Variety...

The core is the relationship between The Master and Freddie, a twenty-something drifter who becomes the leader’s lieutenant. As the faith begins to gain a fervent following, Freddie finds himself questioning the belief system he has embraced, and his mentor.

Anderson hopes to shoot the film in 2010, but Universal has yet to greenlight the $35M picture until it sees a finished script.

Hey, he's never let a studio(or me) down yet. From Hard Eight to Blood the man just cranks out amazing films that are both exciting, intellecutally stimulating, and always brimming with three-dimensional characters. I'm already hyped for this film and I barely know a thing about it.