7/12/2012

Trailer Time: Official Trailer 'Cosmopolis'


Wow. I'm pretty sure I'm switching from coffee in the morning to just watching this trailer when I wake up. To be completely honest wiith you I'm not entirely sure what I just saw but I can tell you it blew me away. To avoid further confusion I'll just let you guys read the official synopsis:
New York City, not-too-distant-future: Eric Packer, a 28 year-old finance golden boy dreaming of living in a civilization ahead of this one, watches a dark shadow cast over the firmament of the Wall Street galaxy, of which he is the uncontested king. As he is chauffeured across midtown Manhattan to get a haircut at his father's old barber, his anxious eyes are glued to the yuan's exchange rate: it is mounting against all expectations, destroying Eric's bet against it. Eric Packer is losing his empire with every tick of the clock. Meanwhile, an eruption of wild activity unfolds in the city's streets. Petrified as the threats of the real world infringe upon his cloud of virtual convictions, his paranoia intensifies during the course of his 24-hour cross-town odyssey.
Packer starts to piece together clues that lead him to a most terrifying secret: his imminent assassination. 
Cronenberg revisits subjects that fascinate him: how the organic and the psychological are inextricably intertwined, society's anxieties and phobias, and letting repressed impulses and paranoia run wild. COSMOPOLIS is a culmination of his masterpieces that addresses the alarming global financial crisis of today's world.



Lengthy I know, but as you will see it is necessary. Honestly this is NOT the type of movie I would expect to like, hyper-stylish and apparently heavy on dismal visions of what the filmmaker thinks will be our future. I LOVE what I see, the look, the dialogue, the actors, hell even the philosophy apparently adapted by Robert Pattinson's character is mind-blowing to me. Here's a guy that has had so much success and good fortune that the very real possibility of losing it all and even being killed drives him to a psychotic level of recklessness and self-harm that, oddly enough, looks enjoyable.

While I've come to loathe the Twilight series like so many other haters (I did appreciate the first two) I will go on record saying that Pattinson will become, possibly with this role, an Oscar contender. I've seen such slivers of greatness outside of the pre-teen fodder. I will say that dude man should've gotten a bit of color as the ultra pale skin makes him appear Cullen-ish though that resemblance skirts away the second he talks. Last thing on the Pat-Man, I have a feeling this film will seperate him from his sparkly sweet soccer-mom friendly persona. You'll get a sense of the hedonism he partakes in from the trailer but more interestingly look closesly at the rating explanation on the preview screen, "Strong Sexual Content including Graphic Nudity". I honestly don't recall ever seeing the 'Graphic' adjective in a movie like this.

On with the trailer:





Make sure to check out all of the other great clips and news we have for this flick right here!