12/09/2014

15 Actresses Deserving of Oscars Attention (But Probably Won't Get It)


The other day one of my fellow critics in WAFCA asked who I thought the best supporting contenders ought to be this year, and they were shocked... SHOCKED I tell you, when Meryl Streep's name wasn't mentioned for Into the Woods. Well, why would it be? Why would I mention her when there are so many others who were better than her this year who, sadly, won't get any kind of attention because their last name isn't Streep. Come to think of it, I complained about the same thing last year while compiling this list. Unfortunately, sh*t never changes.

Here is a list of my favorite female performances of 2014 that probably won't get a sniff of Oscars buzz, or just may have been overlooked in general. Because we're still pretty early in the season that meant leaving some names off I'd normally put on, such as Marion Cotillard for Two Days, One Night, Carrie Coon for Gone Girl, or Renee Russo for Nightcrawler, because there's still a chance they'll get in. I also would have included Rinko Kikuchi for the odd Fargo-esque dramedy Kumiko the Treasure Hunter, but it doesn't officially come out until next February despite being nominated for an Indie Spirit Award. Whatever. One thing I'm happy about is that my list skews crazy young, with most of the actresses stars on the rise or just beginning to break out into their own. And no, I didn't pick any of these women because they're hot. That list comes later. So let's just get right to it, and look out for the rest of our "Best Of" breakdowns all month!

 Tessa Thompson- Dear White People



Charlotte Gainsbourg- Nymphomaniac Vol. 1 & 2




Carla Juri- Wetlands



Jenny Slate- Obvious Child


Emily Blunt- Edge of Tomorrow




Shailene Woodley- The Fault in Our Stars




Kristen Stewart- Camp X-Ray




Emily Browning- God Help the Girl



Tilda Swinton- Only Lovers Left Alive



Michelle Monaghan- Fort Bliss



Mia Wasikowska- Tracks




Kaitlyn Dever- Men, Women & Children



Juliette Binoche- A Thousand Times Good Night



Agata Trzebuchowska- Ida




Rosario Dawson- Top Five