7/28/2009

The Secret's Out, Neil Burger to Direct NIMH


Experimental director Neil Burger, who helmed two of my favorite recent films in The Illusionist and The Lucky Ones, has been in talks with Paramount to adapt "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH" for the big screen. Back in 1982, the book was adapted as The Secret of NIMH, Don Bluth's first directorial effort. Nothing as of yet on the format the film will take, but I'm willing to bet it won't be a cartoon like the original. Probably a combination of live-action and CGI.

I won't lie, The Secret of NIMH scared me as a kid. It was a particularly brutal and sad film, and they did such a good job making these mice seem human that it was too much for me at the time. Ahhh, back in the days when I was still a babyface. Anyway, as an adult I've come to appreciate NIMH for it's blend of drama and fantasy, and seeing as Neil Burger is one of my favorite directors this is a project I'm anxiously awaiting.