7/10/2009

The To-Do List! 7/10/09

So between dinner engagements, and an unnatural addiction to 1vs100 on Xbox Live I actually had precious little time for movies this week. Being the forward thinker that I am, I crammed everything into last weekend. This week, not so much. There are roughly 5 movies on the docket this week that I'm amped up over. Typically this means I'll be at the movies nearly every damn day for the next week, but I might have to pull a little double duty, as I have a Harry Potter screening to attend on Monday and I'm locked in to go to a screening of Focus Features' Adam on Thursday.

Also, I hope you guys had a chance to check out Snap Judgements, a new feature in which John and I will be giving our instant take on a film fresh from an event, normally days before the film hits theatres. The first edition featured my take on the upcoming rom-com, 500 Days of Summer starring Zoe Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Leavitt. So check it out! And ignore how fat I look. The camera adds...50 pounds.



I was not a huge fan of Borat. I found some of the clearly scripted stuff to be a bit boring, but the impromptu antics were downright hilarious. A bit mean spirited, but who cares. On the face of it, Bruno appears to be more of the same, although I'll admit that I rarely take humor from over-the-top homosexual characters. However, I also recognize that sex is a helluva lot funnier than ignorance(Borat capitalized on people's stupidity mostly), so I have some high hopes for this one. The only thing that bugs me is that they cut out the Michael Jackson bit featuring his sister Latoya. If you're going to make a biting commentary that supposedly pulls no punches, I expect no punches to be pulled. Regardless of current events. Whatever. I'll get over it.



If I knew all it took to get the hot chick in school to like me was play the role of a nerd for four years(not that I was playing) and then proclaim my love on the dead last day, my head would still be swimming with memories of my wild night out with Keesha Lawrence. And ofcourse I would've scored with her. But apparently it works, othewise there would be no I Love You, Beth Cooper to talk about. Hayden Panettiere, looking hotter than she's looked since season 1 of Heroes, plays the object of nerd desire. Unfortunately it's directed by that uber-hack, Christopher Columbus, but I imagine this thing will sink or swim despite his bland direction.



Just look at the theatrical poster for Blood: The Last Vampire and you know it's a movie I'm practically dying to see. Let's see....hot chick....schoolgirl outfit...Asian...vampire....copious amounts of blood. Based on the horror anime of the same name, it's the story of a human/vampire hybrid who works alongside humans to kill vampires. Her ultimate goal is to find and destroy the strongest vampire there is, Onigen. In the DC Metro area this is only playing at Landmark E Street, and probably won't go beyond that unfortunately.



Science fiction has experienced a rebirth of sorts over the last few years, much to my delight. But the majority of those films have been sci-fi/action popcorn variety. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but every now and then I want to get to the down and dirty man vs. the unknown type. Moon fits the bill perfectly. Starring Sam Rockwell in a role that was written expressly for him, Moon is about a man stationed on a moonbase tasked with extracting Helium-3 by a company known as LUNAR. A few weeks shy of completing his assignment, he begins to hallucinate, and soon discovers that he has no memory of how he got where he is. Moon is directed by Duncan Jones, son of legendary rocker David Bowie, who has given the film a sortof retro 1970's look. Simple but effective. Of all the movies coming out this week I think I'm looking forward to this most. Surprisingly playing at both AMC Hoffman and AMC Shirlington, which bodes well for expansion in the coming weeks.



Movies about the Iraq War have generally been met with subpar reviews and even worse box office. But acclaimed director Kathryn Bigelow(Point Break!!) is looking to change all that with her new film, The Hurt Locker. Starring Jeremy Renner as the enigmatic leader of an Explosive Ordinance Disposal unit who gets his team mixed up in a game of urban warfare just shy of their release back home, the film has already been praised by many as the best film about the Iraq War yet. It is currently playing in the DC area at AMC Georgetown, AMC Shirlington, and Landmark E Street Cinema.

What else is out there?

Frankly, I don't even care. I've got enough on my plate with no room for dessert.